Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a cherokee 2.7CRD sport with a VM engine. It keeps breaking

I have a cherokee 2.7CRD sport with a VM engine. It keeps breaking the rockers on No.1 cylinder. Timing has been checked many times now but it lasts for 2 or 300 miles and then at motorway speeds it will suddenly start to lose power and misfire. when checked again timing seems fine but the rockers are brocken
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello I'd check the valve springs on that cylinder next for coiil bindingas when you turn the engine over by hand and you should see the valve spring compress and when its fully compressed there should still be gaps between the springs , if the springs go solid at any point then the rockers will break also check thst the oil supply to those rockers is coming through as if the gallery is blocked then this too will create issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am pretty sure the oil supply is good but will check as I will the springs which is an interesting point. I am running out of ideas!