Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a golf mk7 tai gt ,the ride is too hard ,what can I

Customer Question

I have a golf mk7 tai gt ,the ride is too hard ,what can I do?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should have read golf tdi gt with 7j x17 225/45 tyres am I oing damage lowering the tyre pressures to. 2.1 bar or should I consider changing my alloys to say 15 or 16 inch, or can I fit /50 or 55 tyres.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My car is Volkswagen not volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hellothere's no problem with running a slightly lower tyre pressure than the maximum stated on the door jamb sticker and 2.1 bar is fine to runI'd also consider fitting a taller profile tyre with a smaller diameter wheel, this will add some compliance to the ride and generally calm the quick responses. An alternative is to keep the current wheel and replace the tyres with some of a softer sidewall so removing some of the compliance in the system - Toyo's for exampleThis is especially true if you have run-flat tyres currently fittedIf you look on the tyre at the end of the number eris there's a letter the number just before this letter denotes the load capacity and therefore sidewall stiffness.ie 225/55 R16 91V its the 91 you're interested in try a tyre with a lower figure and you'll get a softer tyre, however bear in mind this will also soften the steering responseIts also worth checking that all the main suspension pivot points have been tightened with the car on its wheels not in the air as this can add a lot of friction to the suspension and lastly check that the brakes aren't binding at all as this too can make the ride very jerky and bouncy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Matt,
Does having a soft wall tyre mean I must look for a lower load rating.
Do you have a particular model in mind?
Thanks again
Dave .
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dave you have it in onethe load rating directly relates to sidewall stiffness a lower number than you have now will make for a softer rideI'd take a look at continental sport 5's and toyo proxes T1's
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt.
Sorry to bother you again, what would result me fitting a larger tyre say 225/50 instead of
225/45 as is fitted
Dave
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Dave well as you can imagine the sidewall height increases by 5% or about 10mm so this will help ride quality however you will also increase the car's overall gearing by about 3.4% too