Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Vivaro 2012 2.0 cdti eco small piece of oval metal like

Customer Question

Hi vivaro 2012 2.0 cdti eco small piece of oval metal like half a fifty pence and about 1mm thick, any ideas where it can have come from. Thanks Steven
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi.there..
Where was this found exactly on the van?
If you could send us a picture using the paperclip icon if possible might help?
Any numbers on it or?
Had you any work carried out the van recently?
Whats the vans Registration?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it was in turbo housing but is not off turbo it must have came from induction side. REG IS CU12BUU. TRUOBLE STARTED WHEN STOP LIGHT CAME ON. FAULT ON DISPLAY WAS INJECTION FAULT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Ok.. My intial thought might of been swirl flaps.maybe a flap had failed/broken off but normally they find there way into the cylinder/top of the valve seat if thats the case,,but they are of much thinner metal though..but looking at the engine diagram on the 2.0cdti vivaro its doesnt appear to have them,swirl flaps...my only other thought is an issue occured on the EGR valve..might be suggested to remove that and see if the flap in that hasnt actually broken or failed and sent that bit of metal into the turbo housing...there isnt really anything else i could see cause that bar obviously one of the blades/vanes in the turbo had broken off..but they are differant shape to an oval as you describe..but if that pieace has found itself inside the turbo compressor/turbine housing..then inspections would need to be made to that to ensure that hasnt suffered damage as result..scoring the housing or damaging the blades/vanes etc....I do hope this helps...If you require to ask or add anything further then just continue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ended up going into turbo. Had it reconditioned at darlington turbos with two year garuantee and they didn't recognise it as anything off turbo. it suffered severe power loss and seemed to have back pressure as if exhaust was blocked.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..
If that bit of metal had got jammed in the housing then its not really surprising that you would suffer power loss and the effect of blocked up exhaust system..as the vane shaft inside the turbo wouldnt be spinning as it should do which it does at approx 80,000 and 200,000 RPM depending on engine rpm speed..the shaft is one pieace and finely balanced so its has the vane on one side thats the compressor one and the other side is the vane that is run via the exhaust gases passing over it which in turn is what effectively drives your turbo compressor side... that bit of metal getting jammed in there then the turbo would run at all.so no power or boost if you like...But like you have mentioned its certainly something thats maybe been passed into the housing via the intake side..so its really a case of possibiliy getting the intake manifold off..but first ideally checking the EGR/valve within that itself wasnt the intial cause..without actually seeing it for myself or possibily a picture of sorts to maybe help further of the mentioned item.its pretty difficult to say what or where that bit has come from bar of course human error somehow during installation of the unit before hand with the fitting of recon'd Turbo..which i would think would be less likely but you never know..all i can say is check the obvious places as i mentioned above first and see whats found..