Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

Someone reversed into the rear my car which was parked in gear

Customer Question

Someone reversed into the rear my car which was parked in gear on a hill, it wouldn't start and after pressing mushroom button to feed fuel in it eventually started but with a helluva knocking, my insurers garage are suggesting that it was a pre-excisting fault and there's no way the car would have an engine fault after been hit in the rear
Nissan Xtrail 2005 Se DCI
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
The idea of the inertial switch, Switch is firmly mounted upon a vehicle that senses shock .
It is a part of electrical circuits that may will shut off the fuel pump
this is a safety issue just in case the fuel line gets damaged and stops fuel being pumped into car and street so hopefully no fires will start.
This will have no effect on the engine and will not cause any mechanical problems ,this is just like the fuel running out and making the engine stall.
Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks although was told my model of car doesn't have Inertial switch
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
What was the mushroom button you pressed in to start the car ,this put me off thinking you may have an inertia switch ..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It sits on top of the fuel filter and was told to press this until it was stiff, car eventually started but with a knocking sound, some other mechanics have suggested that because the car was parked and in gear that the crankshaft may have took a knock due to car moving when it was parked up in gear
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Oh good grief you have a diesel engine LOL...My mistake did not take the DCI into account when i read your question But that's okay same goes as the petrol .Now do you have any warning lights ON when the engine is running like the check engine light.?? But still an accident would not damage the engine , the knocking could be a bad injector as diesels make a lot of knocking when one is not running correctly due to air in the system.Not sure of the extent of the damage, if near the fuel tank ,got a ruptured fuel line taking in air and causing you problems at the fuel injection lines to the injectors, due to air in the system this will have to be checked by the insurance guys. Hope this helps you better understand what might be your problem . Kindest regards ***** ***** get back to me if needed.