Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a problem with a Carisma 1800 GDI Y-Reg vehicle.

Hello. I have a problem with a Carisma 1800 GDI Y-Reg vehicle. Engine tick-over and reluctance to start is the issue. Before I go into any more details, could you please advise what the cost of this service is ?
John
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Y-Reg 1800 GDI Carisma. 7000 miles per year. Every year, maybe twice a year, I have to remove the throttle body to clean it out because the tickover becomes eratically low. Last week, it suddenly started ticking over at about 1800 rpm. The tickover will sometimes drop to around 1000, but not below that. At the same time, it is sometimes very difficult to start if the engine has been used and switched off within the last half hour. When it does finally fire, it sounds as if the engine is flooded, picking up on one cylinder first. I took the throttle body out again and cleaned it as usual. The build-up of carbon was what I was expecting, but the butterfly valve showed no sign of sticking. Reinstalled it but with no improvement. What do you recommend I do next ? Thanks. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I have a reply to this question ASAP please. The website claims that queries are always answered within 24 hours, so could we see a bit of action please.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nicola and thanks for the update. I will wait to see what your technicians can come up with.RegardsJohn
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello these engines are pretty prone to sludging up on the intake manifold so its possible that you may have to remove the manifold to clean it outI'd also suggest checking that the fuel pressure is correct with a running engine and if thast OK then check for exhaust leaksbefore the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then itwill have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled inas fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate. this can lead tocatalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst The best way tofind an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaustjoints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all getstoo hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Matt. Where should I test for fuel pressure, and what is the pressure range I should expect ? John
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello John on a car of this vintage there's probably no pressure tapping on the fuel rail - if there is one it will look like a tyre valve which makes it easy to connect a pressure gauge but I think you'll have to rig up a Tee piece affair to tap into the feed before the injector rail and the pressure should be 3.2 to 3.5Bar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
No problem Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years