Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

I have a 1998 v40. The bottom engine mount is splitting. It

Customer Question

I have a 1998 v40. The bottom engine mount is splitting. It is at the very bottom of the engine, and is in the centre.
My parts supplier is unable to recognise this mount, and keeps talking about the right and left rear mounts. It is neither of these. Can you identify the part number for me
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0ver 15 hours have passed, and I have had no reply. I shall check again in another 12 hours, ( by then it will be 24 hours) and then cancel my Sub. I am most disappointed by the lack of any response.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi .
Which engine do you have fitted on this V40
And the rear middle or do you mean the rear mount..
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greetings Greg,
It is a 2 litre ( or rather 1.94) B4204 S2 engine. VIN No. YV1VW1626WF187320
My mechanic tells me it is the rear mount. But my parts supplier in Melbourne Australia says that there are only two rear engine mounts, one right and one left. My mechanic says it is in the middle at the bottom rear of the engine. Can you shed any light on this for me and provide a parts number?
Adrian G
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
This is what i thought you meant .There are four mounts the rear ,front left and right . The front and rear are both on the cross frame that goes from rear to front ,both are bolted to this cross-member.Attached is a diagram showing you of system just like yours . Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service. This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that Greg, I now believe that it is not an engine mount, but is a rubber bush designed to stop vibration between the bottom of the motor and the cross member. My mechanic thought it was an engine mount, but it is not.
In NZ we have a " Warrant of Fitness" examination each 6 months, and the car cannot be driven because the mechanic ha s not passed it because of this bush. I hope you understand this, and can shed some light on it for me. (I am getting tired of walking)
cheers
Adrian G
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
I think the correct way the inspection office does a failure of any car the he must name the part that failed on the inspection sheet.Now there are lots of bushes that could be the problem , bottom control arms ,engine cradle bushes , 14 and 36 in the diagram (engine mounts) As shown in the new diagram (not your vehicle but very simula) cradle bushing .You need to go to an independent repair shop and have the shop check the report sheet and check for the bushes that are reported bad. Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Greg,
The two diagrammes you have sent are just what was needed. Unfortunately I must return to the mechanic here who did the inspection, because in our system he has entered the failure into the government computor system, and so the car cannot be used until the "fault" is rectified. Hence my concern. I shall plod on from here, Thank you for your assistance
Adrian G
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Okay sounds Good . Thank you for using justanswer . Please don't forget to rate my assistance . Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg, I rate your help as top class. Thank you for your help
Adrian G
Cambridge
New Zealand
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Adrian . You need to click on the rating starts so i get credited . Thank you Adrian ..
Greg, Technician
Experience: Automotive diagnostic tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg,
Another query. I have lost the radio code for my 1998 V40. Do ou know how I can find it out?
Adrian G
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Adrian .
I would love to help you with this, but sadly this is not my area .
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Greg,
I looked on the top of the radio ( after having removed it) and found a code there written in black marker. Eureka!
Cheers
Adrian G
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Great news good find Adrian . Have a great Christmas and new year.. Greg