Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Car won't start, when key is turned nothing happens no sound

Car won't start, when key is turned nothing happens no sound at all,
Dash lights are all bright but they start flashing and various warnings come up.
Can't open the boot manually or with the lever inside the car.
Car is E class diesel 2006
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello This sounds to me like the battery is flat - probably due to the open boot leaving the boot light on. A flat battery means you can't get the deadlock or alarm system to release its grip I'd start by charging the battery you should be able to do this via the cigarette lighter / accessory socket. You'll need the appropriate attachment for your charger but car accessory shops sell these- Alternatively if you can't get into the car/ boot the other way to do this is jack the car up so you can get under the front. Locate the starter motor and the large power cable that runs to it - connect the positive battery charger lead to this terminal then connect the charger negative lead to the metal of the engine block This should complete the charging circuit and get some power into the battery allowing you into the car