Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Guys, Ihave a kia shuma 1.6 sport, whenstarting the car

Hi guys, Ihave a kia shuma 1.6 sport, whenstarting the car the yellow engine signe lights up and doesen't go out until i turn the engine off even after say a 20 mile run. whats the problem and is it serious?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you. This light is indicating a fault has been detected by one of the many sensors on the fuel injection or emissions system. There are hundreds of possible causes, so for each fault detected a code is saved and the light is illuminated.The car will need to be plugged into a diagnostic scanner to retrieve these fault codes to help pinpoint the cause. It is common for very minor hiccups or simple sensor faults to cause this so it is not necessarily a sign that something major is wrong. It might just need re-setting, or a sensor replacing. Most garages will charge around £40 for a diagnostic scan and any good garage can do it.In the mean time, if the car is running as normal you should be perfectly safe to continue using the car until you can conveniently get it looked at.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.This will be caused by the Auto selector inhibitor switch/range position switch. This detects what position the gear selector is in, If it is any position other than P or N the engine cannot be started to prevent accidentally moving. Your symptoms are classic of a sticking or faulty switch. Giving the selector a shake will be helping the switch to activate and allow starting. The switch will need to be replaced to cure the fault, although cleaning the contacts inside may help for a short time it rarely lasts. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.