Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 3 year old BMW X3 with 30,000 miles on the clock.

I have a 3 year old BMW X3 with 30,000 miles on the clock. When going around tight corners at low speed the vehicle judders, it will not steer around the corner smoothly
Any idea what the problem is ?.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloI would say that this is a worn drive shaft joint - typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at a reasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will 'click'. also check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts