Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My chrysler 3.3 grandvoyger keeps stopping when engine gets

My chrysler 3.3 grandvoyger keeps stopping when engine gets to normal running temp. Replaces the crank sharft sensor as that was coming up on analyser. Every time it does this no warning lights and the ASD and fuel pump relays are left clicking away.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;Airflow meterCrank position sensorCam position sensorO2 sensorThrottle position sensor unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40 and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to start to have a look at it today
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understood just get back to me on this post
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It's driving me mad. Still doing it and wasting alot of petrol do vine around and around the area just to see of if it still does it. There is a guy in America trying to take Chysler to court over this matter. There are alot of people with this stopping problem bit no one seems to know the answer. Seems it's been a problem since the car was first made but looks like chysler never wanted to admit there is a fault with the ASD system as they would of had to recall all the cars. It's dangerous because the engine just stops and you don't even have any warning. You then have a car with no breaks or power steering instantly. I was when it first did it traveling down a steep hill with kids on the back the only sign on the dash that anything was wrong was the techo meter at zero. There must be a reason for this and only chysler know the answer. Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dave if you haven't already then I'd replace the fuse and the relay for the ECU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem seems to be the Ecu cannot get a reading from the camshaft senor or crankshaft sensor on a analyser. Im got to get righr under the car to check the wiring back to the Ecu from both these sensors. Might be a bad connector block. I've had the crankshaft sensor replaced.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello OK I'd agree that tracing the sensor wiring back to the ECU plug is a good next step also check that the main engine earth connections, the large 1 to the battery / chassis and the smaller connections to the engine bay wiring loom that are fixed to the engine with small bolts and ring terminals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing that blotters me is why does the car run perfectly until it reaches normal temperature. On the Web site called Honest John. This is actually discussed but no one seems to know the answer. But I'm convinced it is the cam and crankshaft sensor problem as fuel consumption on this car has gone up a bit since November and it's not been cold here warmest November December. But on a very cold day we did have the car kept going longer as the engine took longer to heat up also having the blowers on in the car and Heat up full slows the engine warm up time down and so car runs for longer. It's strange.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloI've often seen that wiring / electrical faults can only occur once things are warm, this is down to expansion so if you have a crack inside a sensor or on a wire then this crack only really effects things once they are expanded and warm and so pulled apart to break the connection
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years