Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Citroen Pluriel Auto purchased new 2005. It has given

I have a Citroen Pluriel Auto purchased new 2005. It has given me 10 trouble free years. Battery 1 1/2 years old, new starter (but I don't think that was ever the problem) . Starting has become a problem. She will start with some persuading. This is how I do it. Foot on brake, foot on accelerator, take off auto, start in neutral. She will turnover a bit of an effort, behaves like a flattish battery, then roars into life or not fire up at all and snowflake and minus sign appears where gear indicator should be with a lot of clicking from the gearbox. Wait 5 to 8 mins and try again, repeat until she starts. Sometimes she will display 5th gear when started and needs some persuading into 1st. After that she's fine. I drive her in manual and always leave her in neutral when parked. At the last full service, a month ago her software was checked and deemed ok. So far I have spent £1000 on her and problem not resolved. Please help
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ps I just been advised by your system that my e-mail address***@******.*** has been used on a previous account. As I have NEVER contacted you before, please advise who has used me e-mail??
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello this sounds like there's a battery earth issue as to get all these odd faults usually means there's a problem with the main power supply so I'd 1st check the state of the main battery connections ensure that the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well. There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer went some way to solving the problem. there were several other issues mainly relays and an incorrect battery, the starter motor was also fitted incorrectly. I don't think we would have sorted it out with correspondence only. A friend sorted it out while I was abroad.