Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Pump is tumping but is not working

Customer Question

pump is tumping but is not working
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello can you tell me what car, make model engine size and fuel type this is please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fiat croma diesel
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hellothanks for that so I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turnedon first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earthstrap is also OK.If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug (between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if itstending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supplywire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensorIf the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see ifthis helps or changes anything Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enoughfuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find andyou’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is theissueLastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I see that you've rated my answer negatively ?how can I help further?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power steering pump is the problem
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OKthanks for the extra information as there's fluid in the pump reservoir 1st thing to check is what colour is it?as it should be a dark red colour if its black then it needs replacingbut even so then you should still get some assistance and it sounds likely that the pump is faulty or the proportioning valve in the steering rack is blocked up if you hold the smaller diameter pipe from the pump whilst your assistant turns the steering from left to right ( with engine running) you should feel vibration in the pump and quite strong too if its very weak then this is further evidence the pump needs replacing as they don't last forever
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All ready checked it sounds electrial
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ok in that case check the main power cable connection to the steering pump (red/black). If you reach down the rear of the engine and release the power plug then up end the thing, remove the blue insulator and inspect the spade connector. If it’s burnt etc. a new lead will fix it GM part no 24451552 (Vauxhall dealer
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I see that you've rated my answer negatively ? How can I help further?
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can their be a relal for power steering pump
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello there's no relay but there is a fusehowever like I said earlier the chronic cause for power steering issues is the power lead I mentioned earlier as they typically last about 4 years before burning out