Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Vauxhall Astra van 08 Stopped out side of shop all ok . Came

Vauxhall Astra van 08
Stopped out side of shop all ok . Came out tryed to start van just clicking from solenoid and lights on dash flashing strange. Thought this would time of year could be flat battery so jump started got home and noticed high tick over turned of van and tryed to start 15 min later only to here a strange sound from engine . Could this be a timing belt and could I have screwed up engine
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Quite unlikely the problem you had would effect the timing belt or damaged the engine - the factors surounding the flat battery could well be the alternator itself which may not be producing enough charge or the the noise you hear could well be from it..maybe inspect the belt itself - other than that only way to know is to remove the alternator belt and then run the engine for a short moment..if the noise your hearing stops..then you'll know the alternator is likely at fault in regards ***** ***** internal to the housing.you can with the engine off check the pulley itself to ensure its not loose or binding up....You can as a first step also check with volt meter when the engines running to see what the alternators output is into the battery..normally you should have at least 14volt anything below that or above that would likely be alternator problem..low output form the alternator can sometimes cause a high idle as the ecu monitors the alternator voltage...so as above the alternator/charging circuit itself would likely be your first area to inspect being a fairly common fualt on the engine engines - aswell as the battery terminals are clean and not showing signs of corrosion..I do hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vauxhall Astra van 08
Stopped out side of shop all ok . Came out tryed to start van just clicking from solenoid and lights on dash flashing strange. Thought this would time of year could be flat battery so jump "bump" started got home and noticed high tick over turned of van and tryed to start 15 minlater only to here a strange sound from engine . Could this be a timing belt and could I have screwed up engine . Sorry bump started this is what I did not jump started I'm a electrician not to good at spelling joke . As I asked could this have screwed up my engine as it didn't get started by itself in anyway it was by a bumb start as I was wondering if the belt went out of position when I first shut off engine before going in to shop , and in doing so there was a safety measure in the engine management system that would stop me from starting the engine up
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..
A bump start intially shouldnt cause that problem of high idle,there is no fail safe software in the ecu to prevent the car from starting if it sees a timing belt issue - if the Timing belt had shifted a tooth or jumped..you'd either have it spinning over and fail,hard to get it to start and engine management light come up and flag up a cam/crank sensor fault codes / heavy smoke out the back due to the timing being out / rough idle,missfiring or if the belt shifted way out you'd get a non start situation plus valve to piston contact...The bump start or jolt effect may have cause a knock on problem..hopefully not the gearbox/flywheel..it pretty hard to say over the net exactly wihtout hearing it..if there is an engine warning light up now then plug it in and see what fault codes are stored..at the same time if you can trace that noise down it may give a better idea what it maybe...but intially you 1st problem is a falt battery so like say above the charging circuit is likely the best place to start then a inspection of the same on the starter circuit..
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK