Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My nissan note will not start the lights come on but when

hi my nissan note will not start the lights come on but when i turn the key all the lights flicker and there is a click but the starter motor does not turn over i had a faulty radio and removed it would this have affected the car starting
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
helloI'd say that the radio has flattened the battery? so 1st thing to do is charge the battery up preferably overnight Or you have had the RAC or someone give you a jump start and then drive the car for at least 30 mins to charge the battery in the car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks matt i looked at other forums and tried charging this worked and if we have the same problem again i think we will need to replace the battery as it is 4 yr old
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloOK glad you're up and running as I'd also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright. ifthe alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialistand ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack andthis will repair the alternator without requiring replacement And yes I'd replace the battery – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge