Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a vw golf 1.9 tdi se 2005 only done 33000 miles. (which

I have a vw golf 1.9 tdi se 2005 only done 33000 miles. (which is genuine).
Engine sounds and performs great. It has given me an average of 71.6 mpg and 72.3 mpg on 138 mile and 120 mile trips. (I drive for economy) Here is my problem.
A perfect start-up when cold, but when the engine has reached normal operating temperature, shut off and restart sometime later when still warm, sometimes it seems to jump around / staggers as if turning backwards and a second turn of key is required.
Is it likely that the timing is a bit out. I have ruled out engine mounting problems. Could the fuel injection be at fault. Its'a bit like pre-ignition on a petrol car.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd say its possible that 1 or more of the injectors may be dribbling / not quite sealing so when you have a have a hot restart then then engine has a load of excess fuel to run through 1st so 1st try a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank along with some premium fuel