Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

A 50 metre section of road is flooded, I have a 2015 Mondeo

Customer Question

A 50 metre section of road is flooded, I have a 2015 Mondeo diesel and would the know maximum safe water level to drive through.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you keep the speed down to below 10 mph and the water level is no higher than the centre of your road wheels then you'll be OKyou might get away with a bit more but the main danger is the engine sucking in water and causing hydraulic damage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Matt, there is a a very short section about 10 metres long where the water level will be about at the wheel centre line. Is it better to switch off the engine and push the car through, then leave for a while to dry off...does this minimise the risk of air intake to the engine?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
helloI think if you try and push the car through you stand a bigger chance of getting stuck?what will help is to locate the airbox in the engine bay and simply open it up so the engine is breathing from the engine bay as the pickup is normally just about the level of the headlight so by opening the filter box you'll increase the height by about 6"