Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Volvo 940 engine, automatic gearbox # ***** when stopping

volvo 940 engine, automatic gearbox # *****
when stopping at traffic lights etc, or for road junctions or any other reason and putting the gears into neutral, the engine cuts out and stops running. can you say why.
if the exhaust converter is breaking down, or a or valve or a relay is sticking open or closed, thus telling the engine that we are idling and it can stop running, will it do so.
it is possible that a new temperature senser is set too low and the engine thinks it is overheating even when cold, will this do it.
can you please tell me what is wrong and needs to be replaced, and I do thank you if you can give me a reason and say why it is happening.
Peter John.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi John . Very hard to say what your problem is not being in front of your car ,But:If the repair shop found no malfunction codes ,then all systems are working as should and no sensor is out of its preset range . so when this happens we find to 90% of the time the throttle body just needs cleaning or the idle control valve replacing . First clean the idle valve and trotter body with a good can of throttle body cleaner and clean well with a old tooth brush .Refit and test drive .. Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Greg, if all systems are go then the problem must be mechanical, but why the garage cant think of that I dont know.
as I am not a mechanic I dont know what or where these things are, but there must be a man who does. I will get back to the garage and sort it all out, and if there is any more possible causes I will chase it to the ends of the earth and hope we can get back on the road again. thank you for your help.