Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2013, 2.3 diesel auto. I get a metalic fluttering noise when

2013, 2.3 diesel auto. I get a metalic fluttering noise when slow accelerate (like in car park or in traffic) and when engine is warm. Sounds like 2-3 rotations of something passing another component. (Initially thought clutch or diff)...Took to Mitsubishi garage TWICE and no luck in diagnosis as it also happens on their demonstration model that's a manual. The technician has heard it several times on both visits and lots on their demonstrator. So they won't do anything until they can diagnose the issue. My concern is its getting louder, and my warranty is up in sept. If something goes mechanically wrong, and they haven't diagnosed the full, then how can I claim back against an unresolved fault? I've checked on line but no one else has reported the fault....yet
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements :10.0pt'> Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noises don't occur when just racing the engine, only when moving and only about 70% of the time. Cannot see why it would be down to air in that case as surely be all the time. The issue I also have is lack of urgency by Mitsubishi themselves and I risk the vehicle being a costly repair as they wait until the warranty is run out.