Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician

I have a peugeot 508 sw with serious problems with the

Customer Question

I have a peugeot 508 sw with serious problems with the windscreen wipers. At the same time i have various warnings lights coming on for airbag seatbelt and hand brake any clues
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 9 months ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you. Problems with the windscreen wipers along with the other faults you describe are usually caused by a fault on the central control unit also known as the BSI. This controls many functions such as wipers, windows etc.. other systems also run via this control unit. The next step is to get the car plugged into a diagnostic system to look for fault codes. This needs to be done using an advanced diagnostic system which can communicate with the control unit, most good garages will do this for around £40. All the functions controlled by this control unit are constantly monitored for faults,. It does not always mean the control unit its self is at fault so it is vital to get the fault codes as these can help pinpoint the cause. Before you do this, you can attempt a BSI Reset your self. Sometimes the software can become confused which effectively crashes the BSI. Please follow the instructions below to perform the reset.
Expert:  Ross replied 9 months ago.
PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DISCONNECTIONWhenever a vehicle battery has to be dis-connected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the drivers window open.Switch of the ignition and remove the keyWait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP ie into "power save mode". Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm. Open the bonnet first and leave it up. PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTIONYou must always carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to minimise the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the drivers window left down.1 Close all doors2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors4 Wait 10 seconds5 Switch on headlights through the drivers window6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions
Expert:  Ross replied 9 months ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need further assistance or run into any problems please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi ross.
Thanks for the information. Does the soft re boot apply to keyless entry vehicles as well
Expert:  Ross replied 9 months ago.
procedure should be the same but insert key to switch ignition ON
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician