Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Nissan Elgrand 3.2 Diesel (AVE50) Very Difficult cold start...If at all. This may be a

Customer Question

Nissan Elgrand 3.2 Diesel (AVE50) Very Difficult cold start...If at all.
This may be a coincedence but two weeks ago I filled up from a garage I have never used, the morning after the car would not start. It turned over fine but would not fire. It sound like it wasn't getting enough air or was flooding (although I hadn't touched the accelerator). I disconnected the battery and gave it a charge and after this it started after a struggle, ran for a few seconds then stopped, I started it again and it struggled again but started with a splutter and i depressed the accelerator slightly and it picked up and started to run. For the rest of the day it started first turn without any problem. The following day it started without a problem but then failed to start the day after. This has been the pattern since. I have unplugged the MAF sensor and this doesn't seem to make a difference. Not sure if I have taken in some dirty fuel and the fuel filter is at fault or the fuel pump or a sensor some
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloI'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensorIf the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issueLastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Matt,Where is the EGR valve located? and where is the fuel filter located on this engine? I will look at checking the other things you have mentioned also.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hellothe EGR valve is on the end of a pipe that runs off the exhaust manifold looks like this image
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
and the fuel filter should be in the engine bay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt, I still haven't had the new filters fitted as yet, they arrived yesterday so I am waiting for a slot with my garage to fit them. I am starting to think it is probably the fuel filter as the car has been starting in a morning with a bit of persuision but then runs absolutely fine for the rest of the day. I am not sure if it would do this if the sensors where playing up......could be wrong but I will start with the filters and see how it goes, fingers crossed that is all it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt, Just to update you on my car. I had the glow plugs replaced and this did not fix the problem (however only one was working so they needed doing). It ended up being the glow plug relay that was shot. All is good again and starts first turn.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
glad you got it going and thanks for letting me know