Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Skoda superb elegance 55 plate .car will not open with fob

Skoda superb elegance 55 plate .car will not open with fob .opens with key.will not start or any dash lights come on .will not turn over.all dead.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello 1st check if the small LED on the fob lights up when you push a button if its doesn't then replace the fob battteryalso you will get alarm issues if the main battery is dead so I'd charge that up overnight and it may need replacing if its more than 5 years old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fob light works
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Ok in that case the next step is to charge up the main vehicle battery Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright. if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery checked OK alternator 13.7v
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ok in that case check the main power fuses, in the underbonnet fusebox there should be a few 25A and upwards square type fuses these are for the high power circuits like the starterso check these are intact and also check the condition of the engine earth connections, the main one that runs back to the battery / chassis and there should also be a couple of smaller wires that run out of the engine bay loom and are secured to the engine with small bolts and ring terminals
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you