Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My son has a 2010 Vauxhall corsa. Suddenly the power steering

My son has a 2010 Vauxhall corsa. Suddenly the power steering fails and becomes stiff. The warning light comes on. He stops and switches ignition off and the on again and power steering is ok again This has happened a couple of times now. He took car to Vauxhall and have quoted £1300 to fix not sure what they suggest to replace
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..

Most likely going to be the steering column itself. being electronic/motor assisted it will have sensors to determine angle.direction and maybe likely one of those that failed,columns on these cars are quite common for failure..normally its has to be a new column provided the control ecu unit is fine which is part of the column too..but there are places online click here that could help repair the unit if you can find a good enough independant with the correct diagnostic know how and equipment to re-learn- to maybe help limit the costs rather than what you've been quoted by the dealer..I do hope this helps