Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Fabia 1.4 TDI cooling fan running all the time

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello I'd say its likely that the fan resistor has failed? this is mounted on the back of the rad and looks like this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I repaired the fan sensor wiring but the fan kept work whether the fan sensor was connected or not. I left the battery disconnected over night and reconnected in the morning and the fan worked OK on rad cooling and air con.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
So since the battery disconnection the fan works as it should?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OK , not come across that fix before, possibly the relay was stuck? so it may be worth checking the contacts of the relay for heat / corrosion damage and possibly consider replacing the relay as a prevention against this happening again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the relay hiding?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the fan relays are located in a small box near the fan switch on the side of the rad