Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a corsa diesel which idles rough with blue/white smoke

Customer Question

i have a corsa diesel which idles rough with blue/white smoke out exhaust but will not rev up at all
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
to get blue smoke out of the exhaust then it must be burning oil ?
The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.
If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.
If you do find oil replace the valve. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so
Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok looked fine to me but i have no acceleration at all ticks over but when press accelerator nothing happens, new fuel pump and cam sensor fitted.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OK I'd check the compressions across all cylinder too as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other