Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 04 2.5 grand voyager that constantly cuts out whilst

I have a 04 2.5 grand voyager that constantly cuts out whilst driving I think it's the pump or the ecu. Can I change the ecu myself or is it a lot of hassle
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I wouldn't go straight in and say you need a new ECU? as they tend not to fail 1st thing to check is the state of the ECU fuse and relay , any signs of corrosion, cracking or overheating and they should be replaced then if this is OK I'd check the state of the crank speed sensor wring and connector, again checkign for damaged insulation and corroded connections and hten consider replacing the sensor only then would I consider sending the ECU off for testing / repair - as if your current unit can be repaired this is far cheaper than buying new and also saves the hassle of having to get the ECU coded to match the car ( sadly they're not plug an play replacement)http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/ http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing that make me think that it's the ecu it that when it cuts out the only dashboard light that comes on is the oil pressure warning light. And the pump isn't running, if the ignition is switched off for a few seconds and then back on again all the dashboard lights come on and the pump can be heard running
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello the dash is powered up on its own circuit and not fed by the ECU so its likely that the issue is a power supply issue further downstream I'd suggest checking the ECU and body control unit fuses for 12V as the next step
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so where do I start looking the fuse box and all connections,it's such a random thing.this evening I drove four miles and it cut out nine times.