Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I am seriously thinking of buying a Rio 2 1.4 Automatic, but

I am seriously thinking of buying a Rio 2 1.4 Automatic, but this comes with 16" alloys as standard. I would like to have it fitted with the 15" alloys that the SR7 is fitted with, for better comfort and economy and less road noise. Is this possible without affecting ABS and possibly gearing ratios? Is the overall diameter with tyre fitted the same? Will it affect warranty and insurance?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello this is entirely possible as assuming that the 16" rims are on a 205 /50 or something similar then this gives a rolling diameter of 611mm and if you have a 15" rim with a 205/55 then this gives a rolling diameter of 606mm so only a 0.8% difference and the ABS and speedometer can cope with differences of up to 6%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The 16" wheels are fitted with 195/55 tyres and the 15" wheels I would like to fit have 185/65, so how would the rolling diameters of these compare? Also, would there be any problem fitting the smaller wheel as regards ***** ***** or do all the Rio models have the same brakes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I still need to know if the change would affect my Kia new car warranty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I have just checked them out, they are practically identical 621.5 and 620.9 respectively. Still need to know if you can fit them over the same brakes on the Rio though, and about the warranty.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
the warranty question is one for the dealer as it will be down to their discretion as to whether they will honor it or not
I'd imagine that if they fit the parts then there will be no issues
and as the disc size is the same between the 2 models then you should have no issues with brakes clashing on the slightly smaller rim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thanks - you have told me all I need to know. Cheers