Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

New vehicle purchased from dealer in October 2015. Still haven't

Customer Question

New vehicle purchased from dealer in October 2015. Still haven't received the V5
registration document from either the dealer or DVLA. Vehicle has been registered in my husbands name but not our address. What could be the reason for the dealer doing this?
Mairi Smith.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.Have you asked the dealer to produce this document?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the dealer has been asked on a few occasions for the document & each time has stated it would be sent to DVLA. According to DVLA they have not received it.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Please bear with me while I prepare a response.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I would not be happy with your dealer for this and I would lodge a complaint.
However whilst it is normally the dealer who submits the paperwork to the DVLA it is fine for you to do it yourself if they fail to do so.
You need to fill out a form V55/4 you can get a copy of it from the gov.uk website which I have linked here. You will also need to send your driving licence. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations
If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mairi, is there anything further you would like to know about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am aware we can register the vehicle ourselves but it is already registered in my husbands name with DVLA but not in our address. I am suspicious as to why the dealer would do this? Could there be an issue with the vehicle or is it perhaps a tax dodge?
Who would I lodge a complaint with?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Is the dealer independent? Have you asked them why?