Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have a 2013 seat ibiza 1,6 tdi. The engine usually idles

Customer Question

I have a 2013 seat ibiza 1,6 tdi. The engine usually idles at 750 revs, but just recently it keeps idling at 950 revs. If I stop the car & then start it again it starts at 750 revs, but after driving again and pulling up at traffic lights etc it idles at 950. Any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** give it a try
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
no problem just get back to me on this post
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How long do I have to keep this question open
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
The question has a 'life' of a week and it then closes automatically
so you can rate me at any time and continue to receive advice on this post
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The problem I have is intermittent.It has gone ok again, but I know that in a few days the engine will start idling fast again. What do you think?
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello I'd still check for a vacuum leak next as they can be intermittant with temperature and condition check this 1st and let me know what you find