Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

My S type Jaguar has intermittent starting fault. key in ignition

My S type Jaguar has intermittent starting fault. key in ignition an turn nothing it wont even crank, but all electrics work heater lights radio. Steering column lock comes on in the dashboard. Lock car and leave for 20 min it starts could this be an immobiliser issue
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Hi .
You need to get hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool and check for any possible malfunction codes .from the codes you will then know what is affecting you from starting the car .
I don't think you have a Immobilizer issue as with the immo the engine will crank over but not start .
It looks more like a ignition switch problem ,but as said a diagnostic scan for malfunction codes will help you with this issue ..
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.
IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more",
please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was plugged in and diagnostics came back saying that a gearbox inhibitor switch was faulty, surely this would not give an intermittent fault with the starting like this could it?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi .
Thank you .
Now this is a typical issue and yes this can and will cause a intermittent
no start (Starter motor is not cranking as signal from inhibitor is malfunctioning )
The inhibitor is a switch that lets you start the starter motor when in P or N
next time you have a problem starting move the shifter to N or even wiggle the shifter in P .
But 9 out of 10 this needs replacing if the wiring and connection are good .
Kind regards Greg