Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Is the clutch travel on a santa fe 2010 very short? Test drove

Is the clutch travel on a santa fe 2010 very short? Test drove one and had to almost floor the clutch and it starts to bite after about an inch of travel is this normal?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello these Hyundai's do have issues with the clutch master cylinder failing and can be difficult to repair to produce a 'normal' pedalso this sounds like this is what is occurring here so in a way it is kind of normal -however its not right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be a expensive job to have it re-done, or not to touch the car with a bargepole type of job
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello I've come across both types, 1 where the new master cylinder ( £200) fixed it and the 2nd case where the car had everything bar the kitchen sink replaced and it still had a low clutch pedal so probably about 50/50 whether or not to go for it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be driven like this without causing any problems or is it something that needs sorting asap
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello it can be driven like this providing you can get the gears OK if it grinds going into gear I'd avoid this example
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help