Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

What engine oil will give the very best best fuel consumption

What engine oil will give the very best best fuel consumption and performance for my 2014 Clio Diesel?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello to get the best mpg then you need to run the thinnest full synthetic oil permissible for your engine specSo I'd recommend a 0W40 oil either Mobil 1 or Fuchs see here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-655-0w-40.aspx also check for:Binding brakes:Check that all the wheels can be turned freely by hand, and free off any sticking calipersIncorrect wheel alignment:Check all the tyres for signs of uneven wear if it has any then get it checked out at a place that does 4 wheel alignment not just front tracking and ensure tyres are pumped up to their recommended maximumInjectors are clean and not dribbling - add a bottle of injector cleaner to the tank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Matt. I thought that full synthetic oil was the answer, but wonder if the 0W would be a bit too thin for my 1.5 dCi Dynamique Clio. I will speak to the Renault garage when I next have it serviced, as it's still under the 4 year warranty, and see what can be arranged.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi 0W40 is what Renault themselves actually recommend for running in cold climates so you will be fine with this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update Matt. Your confirmation that Renault recommend the 0W-40W fully synthetic oil for cold climates (I assume it will work just as well if we have a warm summer) is reassuring and I will seek this inclusion on my next Car service. Well done, and thanks for the timely response.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
glad to help