Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

Emission control system light is on,not flashing just staying

Customer Question

Emission control system light is on,not flashing just staying on.
But funny thing is car drives fine no loss of power or anything?
What can it be?
My water pump went that is when it came on?
Had new water pump and timing belt fitted car is perfect but light still staying on?
please advise?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
This check engine light can mean so many things so what i suggest
you do is have a scan tool or a code reader hooked up and check for malfunction codes .from the malfunction codes you will then know why the check engine light is ON .
All you have to do is repair this fault and then the light will stay out
if the repair was correctly repaired .
Good news is the light is not flashing so you may keep on driving until you have time to take the car in to be diagnosed .
If it starts to flash then get this checked as soon as you can as this is a misfire code which can damage the catalytic converter.
You may find you only have a problem with one of the o2 sensor ..
Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.