Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Change from auto to manual still using the auto ecu , enginecheck

Customer Question

change from auto to manual still using the auto ecu , enginecheck light came on ,it was asking for inhibitor switch , this a 2005 Isuzu dmax 3.o diesel manual, also I am getting some smoke after rethrottle just a slight burst ,not blue or black smoke ,
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Hi .
Did you check for malfunction codes if yes what where the codes you recorded .
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
p2157 is the code that came up ,I was asking for an inhibitor switch , but from m y knowledge u only require that on a auto transmission ,
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Yes correct this code will pop up due to the Inhibitor (PNP) switch now not being connected, as this part is on the side of the transmission automatic.
This you will have to live with or replace the ECU.
But with the check engine light being on could be a MOT issue for a failure ..
Slight burst of smoke is normal nothing much to worry about ,unless it blue or black.. slight white is condensation in the exhaust system d
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.
IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more",
please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would that cause a back fire now and then
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Back fire on a diesel is a sign of bad timing ,bad cam or crankshaft sensor . Normally a misfiring engine on diesel will produce smoke so this could be the smoke issue you have now and again . Recheck for codes see if you have any other codes . No codes do a engine compression test . Compression good, then have the fuel tested could be bad ,water etc. Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But u still recommend I change the ecu
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Yes if you don't want the Check engine light to be ON and fail you on the next MOT..
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks a lot greg you have been tremendous help
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
.
Thank you Sir!!