Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2009 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDI and have

Hi, I have a 2009 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDI and have been told that after a knocking noise developed that the big end bearing has failed and the recommended action is a whole replacement engine. I have seen bearing kits for the car that can be purchased - is the work required to change the bearing more challenging compared with swapping the whole lump?
Please help :-)
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if the big-end shell is completely destroyed then usually the crankshaft is also damagedso unless you're very lucky the engine has to come out of the car to remove the crank to then have it re-ground and new thicker shells fitted as the cost of a regrind and removing the crank and rebuilding the engine is about £500 so this probably pays for a good used engine with a faster turn around this is why its a popular option to just replace the whole thing