Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Suzuki Swift 1.4 petrol 2007 - making a rattling/whining noise

Suzuki Swift 1.4 petrol 2007 - making a rattling/whining noise whenever running with clutch out, and oil leak seen on ground - been told that gearbox going (layshaft?). Mileage 79,000. Can this be repaired or will I need to replace? New is £000's, can't afford. Thanks, John.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
In all honesty your mechanic sourcing a secondhand or reconditioned gearbox is by least the best way forward on this..the time and parts needed to strip down and repair the gearbox if possible.would certainly be the most expensive route..not alot of people nowadays opt for that option of strip down due to the expense and time - but rather source a reconditioned gearbox or secondhand one - where the replacement gearbox can just be installed there and then - unless you have local gearbox reconditioning company to give quotes on reconditioned the gearbox thats one it..the best way is what mechanic is doing now by source a secondhand unit provided its in working condition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks that confirms what I had suspected but good to know!