Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Iv got a ML(###) ###-#### *****'s not very good at starting on

Hi. Iv got a ML(###) ###-#### ***** not very good at starting on cold mornings the garage checked the heater plugs and said they where ok. I'm thinking they maybe just didn't want the job of replacing?? It's done 52000. Also the tailgate doesn't work with the remote or the button inside it just unlocks. Any ideas??
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK. If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anythinglicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK. could also be incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will not control the fuelling correctly as the engine warms - so unplug the sensor and clean the contacts on both sides with some switch / electrical cleaner (not WD40) and inspect the wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation especially where it runs over other components and through the bulkhead- if this doesn't help consider replacing the sensor as they're not expensive Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years