Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Sometimes my new 2016 Hyundai Tucson keeps going, even accelerating,

Sometimes my new 2016 Hyundai Tucson keeps going, even accelerating, after I take my foot of the accelerator. This happens in 2nd and 4th gear, mostly 4th gear. The garage told me it is normal in new diesel engines and nothing to worry about. I was advised to push in the clutch and it would slow down. I've tried it but while it sometimes helps it rarely is sufficient.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello sorry but this not acceptable or normal and quite dangerousI'd go back to where you purchased the car and ask that they rectify this whats likely is that the engine is running off oil fumes pulled from the crankcase, as a new engine can sometimes take a while to break in and oil can get past the piston rings as a resultnow it may be possible that all that's required is some running in to bed the rings in but it does need checking out
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years