Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I ran out of engine oil while driving (noise from engine

Hi I ran out of engine oil while driving (noise from engine smoke from exhuast lack of power) I pulled over checked level nothing there I bought 5L car started OK and drove home with a grey smoke screen behind me and still a lack of power my car is a renualt grand scenic 1.9dci 2054 roger
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Rogerfor you to lose all the oil like this and have a lack of power I'd strongly suspect that the turbo oil seal has failed If you remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal if there's a lot of oil in the intake pipe after the turbo then this is another indication that it has failed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a big job to rectify and what would the cost be like thankyou matt
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello providing the rest of the engine is OK then its about 4 hours labour to remove and fit another turbo and the cost of the turbo can be as low as £100 if you fancy a chancing a used unit or as much as £600 for a brand new unit from turbo technicshttp://www.turbotechnics.com/