Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Skoda Fabia 1.4. auto box, petrol. 55000miles. Keeps dropping

Skoda Fabia 1.4. auto box, petrol. 55000miles. Keeps dropping to limp mode the ecu has been reprogrammed but no luck. Now I am told it could be the torque converter/gearbox at fault. The diagnostic m/cs keep saying different problems while you are under diagnostics.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if the car is going into limp home and generating multiple faults then I'd 1st check over the main battery connections and engine earth connectionsall should be tight, bright and clean , as well as the large connections there should be a couple of small wires that run out of the engine bay loom and are secured to the engine with ring terminals - these are the ECU specific earths and also mus tbe tight and cleanAlso check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright. if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge and lastly check the condition of the fuses for the ECU and fuel pump as I've known corroded and cracked fuses to produce this sort of fault