Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My shogun sport won't start turning over well

Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was driving then engine management light came on .lose power.then went of again an drive ok. Turned it of now wont start
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cablesone other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its offIf this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that all fine jeep is turning over no problem just not starting
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OKI'm going to assume that this is a diesel engine versionI'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps. Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensorIf the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issueLastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years