Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a Golf 1.9 tdi 05 reg. The EGR was replaced 5 months

I have a Golf 1.9 tdi 05 reg. The EGR was replaced 5 months ago and the fault was cured.
Some weeks ago a friend informed me that smoke was being emited from the exhaust when I was accelerating at low revs.
It seems to happen mainly when the engine is warm and I find the engine is slightly fluffy when I tickle it gently coming out of a roundabout. The smoke tends to be white rather than black. The performance is fine if I drive it a bit harder.
I have also had the engine decarbonized with the Teraclean system.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.This sounds very much like what I would expect to see from a failing MAF Sensor. (Metered Air Flow) This sensor meters the air flow into the engine to correctly calculate the fuel required for that quantity of air, If the sensor begins to read incorrectly the fuel system will miscalculate the fuel slightly causing the low RPM running problems you describe. The incorrect fuel mixture will cause smoke, unlike major boost leaks, the smoke tends to be lighter than the dark very rich mixture caused by major air leaks, it is also common for this to happen at low RPM, the air flow signal is much stronger at higher RPM, so everything at this point would leak to the MAF Sensor. I Strongly recommend the car is plugged into a diagnostic system to check for stored codes before replacing anything. It may also be worth cleaning the sensor. It is located on the air filter top housing on the inlet pipe, it will have a multi pin connector. The sensor can be removed easily but requires security torx screw drivers, spraying with electrical cleaner may help however great care must be taken as the sensor element is very delicate. If in any doubt it is best left to a garage to check. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.