Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

This Bertrand; I have a problem with My nissan qashqai J10, it is not starting but i

Hello This Bertrand; I have a problem with My nissan qashqai J10, it is not starting but it cranks, before it happened but I tried to shut off for 10 min and restart then it started but now it doesn't start, I checked battery :ok, security indicator lamp off, I tried to scan the car using autel maxi DS708 , it doen't show any code. I want to ask what can be the problem?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here, I attach a short video , showing how it cranks when I try to start the engine (excuse me, this not in english but you get idea for the issues)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9bxOi7PWX6idUZPMkdTSmNqNGc
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'm assuming that this is is the petrol engine1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals. If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor. If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearlyIf the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing – if not and the injectors are opening then there’s a problem with the pump or the filter or even the pressure regulatorCould also be incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will never add the 'cold start' extra fuel required if the car starts OK when warm then I 'd look into changing the sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much , Actually I was planning to check all the stuff in the same way but I need an advice from expert,before starting!
It means that those scan tools(autelmaxi DS708) don't show such kind of problems?(Relay, fuse,.. some sensors?) Anyhwere, I am going to test all when I reach home then I am gonna inform you the results.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello for the scan tool not to pop up a result I suspect that you have no power to the ECU? so I'd start there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me check first what you suggested for me then I am gonna inform you the results.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally. I found the problem, I checked every thing as you suggested to me then I find that there is no fuel in system. Then, I checked on fuel pump the I find that there one harness connector which was loosening then I tried to fix it. Then car starts immediately. Thank you for your advice.