Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My check engine parking brake and battery light came on. when

my check engine parking brake and battery light came on. when i tried to restart the car it wouldnt start. i had it jump started and that got it going. after about 3 miles the car started losing power and speed and was chugging along at 3 or 4 miles an hour and all the gages went dead. it is a 2006 cerato
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.It sounds like the alternator isn't charging the battery. The low battery initially could have been due to no alternator output, when the car was jump started it would continue to run until it eventually cannot get enough power from the battery, the fuel pump will begin to slow causing power loss and misfires which explains the chugging, gauges and other electronics will shut down eventually the engine ECU Will cut out and the engine will stop.First visually check the drive belt has not come off, otherwise the alternator will probably be faulty. The car can be put on jump leads to another running car and started, this should diagnose the fault. It should start and run with the other vehicle connected or the battery re-charged using a trickle charger, the alternator can be tested using a multi meter, there should be 12v with the engine OFF and 13.5-14v running. If there is less than 13.5 the alternator is the suspect. If you have break down cover they will come to you to do a full charging system check and repair if possible or take to a garage if an alternator is needed. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the car started chugging i was in a very narrow but busy road and i needed to get to a safe spot to stop. when i did stop and turned the car off as i said i smelled a burning smell also but i didn't see any damage etc. what would have caused that? until this incidet the car has been running great.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
The burning smell would make me suspect the alternator drive belt may have slipped and come off, this is usually a burning rubber smell. An internal failure of the alternator could also cause this but is usually not enough to smell much so I would strongly recommend the drive belt is checked first, If you look on the left hand side of the engine bay and down towards to bottom of the engine you should see the rubber drive belt, if it has come off, the tensioner and pulleys should be inspected and a new belt should cure the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one last question. what kind of cost am i looking at? cheers
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
It varies a lot depending on whether you choose genuine (main dealer) If it is just the drive belt, It takes no longer than half an hour to fit, so up to £90 but usually around £50 at most garages including the belt.The alternator will be a bit more expensive, again it depends a lot, but main dealer can be up to £600, After market alternators fitted by an independent garage are usually around £200, it is also a good time to replace the belt which most garages will do at the same time.
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks very much