Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

After switching off the engine the fan continues running for

after switching off the engine the fan continues running for about 2 minutes..what could be the reason?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iv never noticed that before..first noticed after driving to work 3.5 miles ..had left the car for 1 month parked while i was on holiday..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Its not unknown for these cars to do that after shut down especially so after being hard driven for exmaple..so it perfectly normal in some respect when the hot coolant sits stationary at the temp sensor housing..on the other hand you should always inspect your coolant level..thats one of the key areas..you must only do this when the engines cold and see what the coolant level is like and top up if required..if there is a continual loss of coolant then the coolant system must be checked for leaks asap..also montior the temperarure guage at certain points whislt driving as this will indicate if or wether the temp switch is failing or the thermostat isnt operating correctly...