Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2005 fiat Ducato with Iveco 2.3jtd common rail

Hi I have a 2005 fiat Ducato with Iveco 2.3jtd common rail system there is a resonating vibration on the fuel lines quite noisy the engine starts and runs with no faults can you tell what this is?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt
I was hoping that you would have heard of this vibration on the fuel system, say pressure valve for example .The van runs very well with no faults . I have put in cleaning agent as well. The parts you say check apart from the pumps and sensing valve is almost all of the system, it sounds as though I will have to check it all Peter.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello digging into this a little more these engines are very prone to a vibration at idle if its on the original ECU calibrationthere is an updated calibration which increases the amount of fuel and also the idle speed so I'd check that this has been done also they are prone to engine mount issues so check yours' is tight and isn't badly wornif you lift the engine slightly and check for cracks opening up in the rubber
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt
Sorry for delay but as I have said the vibration only comes in at 1200revs+ the idle speed its fine. This is a motorhome and has only done 25,000 miles. The engine is not vibrating only the fuel lines as stated. If you have not heard this noise yourself it could be any of the fuel system this is why I was hoping someone had an idea as to pin point this noise. I am sorry you cannot help me so I will start from the beginning and work my way through the fuel system.
many thanks Peter
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Peter the only thing I could find that was fuel system related is the updated calibration which should help so I would suggest that this is the next thing to try as it should be free from the dealer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt
I will find out if my fiat garage knows about this update many thanks Peter
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understood good luckBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you