Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2012 Vauxhall Antara is constantly damp inside the car and

My 2012 Vauxhall Antara is constantly damp inside the car and the windows are covered in condensation despite me using dehumidifier bags etc - any articles in the car such as my road map are always soggy - I tried parking it with the windows part open but you cannot switch the alarm on because it goes off after a few minutes for no apparent reason - any idea of a cure please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello If the car has AC then this could be the AC drain pipe thats come adrift or is clogged under the car and backing up the system. To get to the pipe you access it from under the car Also worth checking that the door seals don't have any rips or tears and that they're touching all round the door - best way to confirm this is to rub some vaseline into the seal and close the door then when you re-open it check that the grease line is all the way round and check where theres any gaps - as this indicates the seal isn't touching also check that the sunroof drains are free and clear and these should vent out under the car and can become silted up and rust though due to the trapped water - If you look in the corners of the sunroof well in the roof you should spot a small hole / channel which is the entrance to the drain and I'd also remove the pollen filter and check inside its chamber for any signs of water as these shoud have a drain for water to escape and they can clog up e the seals inside the slave to take a set in the right orientation as over time they can shrink and dw air back in when you take your foot off the pedal. This shrinkage isn't enough to leak any fluid but the gap is big enough to draw air in (gas being harder to seal than fluid) if this doesn't work I'm sorry to say that the slave cylinder is going to need changing. also if the fluid is dark in colour this is a sign the seals are breaking up