Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician
21364095

What engine oil do you recommend standard 6 cylinder

Customer Question

What engine oil do you recommend for 1926 standard 6 cylinder buick,I use steam oil for gearbox
pat
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, For this old of a vehicle you would want to stick with a straight-weight oil specifically formulated for the era... I would not recommend using an off the shelf modern oil due to the energy conserving additives etc that are in use to take advantage of the more modern tighter tolerance engines. You would want to stick with a SAE30, SAE40 or SAE50 weight oil appropriate for your local climate, and of course one engineered for the era... usually identified as "pre-war" engines or some manufacturers will group them under "pre-1940's" or similar.I use a special Castrol vintage oil which I believe is labeled as "classic pre-50's" or something along those lines. It is special order from my local parts house which is a bit of a pain as it takes a week to get usually, but I have not had any issues with it at all.