Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a corsa 1.2 sxi 2010 it as started losing water, there

I have a corsa 1.2 sxi 2010 it as started losing water, there is no water in oil, no white around oil cap, I have taken it to a local garage, where he did a test ( sniff test) the fluid did change colour from dark blue to a green colour, he told me it could be the head gasket or the head its self, is there any other reason for the lose, regards chrissy
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Chrissy If you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'. If all of this is OK it may be worth replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar) however the chemical / sniff tests are pretty good and if its showing a change then there's combustion gas in the coolant which can only come from a failed gasket or a cracked cylinder head I'm afraid now before pulling the engine apart its well worth trying a bottle of one of the chemical sealants as these have come on tremendously in recent yearsI can recommend this product http://www.kalimex.co.uk/our-products/k-seal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I will look for all you have said and even try the product, regards chrissy