Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I can here a droning noise from under the bonnet or gearbox

Customer Question

I can here a droning noise from under the bonnet or gearbox when accelerating through the auto gears,it's getting a little louder each day.
I was informed it may be a differential in the gearbox,
What's your thoughts?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you only get the noise when accelerating / under load then yes its quite likely to be a worn differential it would be well worth replacing the auto transmission fluid with fresh as this can often help with reducing noise however providing the gearbox still shifts cleanly with no hesitation or slow shifts and the car doesn't have any issues during cornering with it juddering or shaking then the diff will carry on like this for some time as differentials can still function even when badly worn
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you