Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

Suzuki Grand Vitara. ABS warning light and ESP warning light

Customer Question

Suzuki Grand Vitara. ABS warning light and ESP warning light have come on in a friends car.
How safe to drive to the dealership? (60 miles)
Any self help checks that she could try?
Anything that should NOT be done?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.
Hi..there.. There are so many possibilites with regards ***** ***** ABS/ESP warnings so it owuld be a little difficult to be certain what the fault is and what checks you could do yourself albeit not alot without proper diagnostic equipment..having said that the ESP will run through the ABS system or be it uses the same speed sensors..Its likely one of the speed sensors on one of the wheels or wiring has developed a fault..doing self checks would require checking the ABS sensor wiring to each hub for issue..futher checks HAS to be done on a plug in diagnostic machine to monitor/live data or retrive fault codes aswell as which side or area on the ABS system the fault lays..and then progress with a fix to solve the issue..But as far as driving the vehicle with those lights will be totally safe to drive..the ABS/ESP will shut down..and then the system reverts to non abs assisted braking shouldnt be any differant.if the pedal is feels spongie or sinks to the floor when depressed? then it would be advised to have the car towed..I do hope this helps